This Monday is not a REACH workshop – we encourage you to do an activity that helps you REACH your wellness goals!
Megan: With an all-day conference Saturday and family plans part of the day Sunday, my normal weekend meal prep time has been greatly reduced. I knew this was happening, however and planned for it accordingly. Tons of chicken was roasted in the crockpot yesterday and shredded so that the same crockpot could be cooking up a squash and quinoa casserole while I’m at work today. When I get home I will package up the casserole to be used for dinner Monday and leftover lunches. I will also use the shredded chicken as our main protein throughout the week in burrito bowls and a chicken Florentine casserole (I use Chickpea pasta in this dish or zucchini strips). Any remaining meals needed after those leftovers are used up will be made of frozen veggie blends from Trader Joe’s + various canned beans + various sauces. Taking care of this ahead of time means a stress-free weekend and successful health goals in the week ahead!
Heather: As previously mentioned a short fall getaway is in store for the Schwartz family so lots of effort this week went to operation Mobile Meal Prep. Lots of overnight protein oats, cauliflower smoothies, chopped veggies and “kid friendly to-go packs”. I am also finishing up my daytime Stress Less series and preparing for my Stress Less for the Holiday free community lecture coming up on November 14. I am looking for areas that I can simplify my own holiday season to maximize holiday joy and minimize holiday stress.
Don’t have time to hit the gym this weekend? Try some of these at-home moves from Bryan to keep your body moving 7 days a week!
- Stretch! Do your favorite stretch in the morning and before you go to bed. Keep those muscles loose and limber!
- Squat it Out! Do a set of 20 squats every time you get a chance (think commercials, waiting for the microwave to beep, when you get up to get water…)
- Commercial Cruches! When there are commercials (or during the credits on your Netflix binge), do a set of 20 crunches to keep those abs active and strong!
- Arm Circles and Heel Raises! Whether you’re standing in line at the store or walking around the house, do some arm circles to keep your shoulders loose. Go both forward and backwards. Or do a set of 20 heel raises while you are up.
- Counter Push Ups! Place your hands on the counter whenever you walk through the kitchen and do a set of 10 push up. These are much easier at this upward angle than doing full even modified push ups!
Out and about running errands? Park a bit further away to get those extra steps and extra Vitamin D!
Preparing meals in advance by cooking extra portions and freezing is a great way to set your future self up for success. But for some of us, it may seem overwhelming to make extra large batches of food or go through the steps of cooking, cooling, packaging and freezing. Another great way to do freezer meal prep is what I like to call the “Chop & Dump Method.” Simply chop your veggies and proteins, dump into a large storage baggie with sauce or broth, and freeze for some other day. When that day comes, just dump it into a crockpot and come back later to enjoy! Your future self is already giving you a big ol’ high five!
Check out this handout for some easy chop & dump recipes to try this weekend!
Recharge Mental Health & Self Care
How are your weekends going? Lately I’ve been seeing a lot of people that are doing AMAZING Monday- Thursday but struggle to stay on track Friday- Sunday. I know it’s very easy to let go of your disciplined ways and relax on the weekends we just want to make sure it’s not thwarting your hard work. Here are a few questions to ask yourself in preparation of the weekend that is nearly here;
1) Are you being too strict during the week and by Friday at 5:00 your willpower gives way?
2) Are you trying to be perfect (the all or nothing mentality?) “They don’t have a kale salad at the restaurant so I guess I’ll have the double cheeseburger”
3) Are you the king or queen or rationalization? “But it’s Friday night, it’s BBQ Saturday, It’s Sunday brunch you can’t expect me to not indulge.” You’ve heard us say it before there will always be a reason to overeat- what choice will you make?
4) How do you feel after a weekend of too many drinks, too much bread and super rich foods?
5) What non-food related self-care practices are you implementing on the weekends to help you feel fulfilled and ready to pour into others again?
REACH out to us if you are stuck in the weekend trap and let us help you make a plan!
Take three deep breaths. As you become present ask yourself one or all of these questions “What areas do I want to focus on this week?” What do I most want to happen in this coming week? How do I want to feel as I go about my days? What do I most want as I head into 2019?
As the answers develop write down what comes to mind, choose a word, a phrase or a sentence that describes your highest intention.