- 1 lb grass-fed ground beef OR cooked lentils for vegetarian version
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 carrots, peeled, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 2 cups raw baby spinach
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bag cauliflower rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Steam cauliflower rice while preparing the filling.
- In a large skillet, cook ground beef or lentils over medium-high heat. With a wooden spoon, break up meat into bite-sized pieces or mash up lentils a bit.
- Remove from heat and place in a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- In the same pan, add olive oil, onion, carrots, celery, garlic, salt, pepper, thyme, and oregano.
- Cook for 10 minutes, being sure to scrape up browned bits. Add baby spinach and stir in to wilt. Transfer to baking dish and spread evenly over beef or lentils.
- Puree steamed cauliflower with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Spread on top of meat/lentil and vegetables.
- Bake in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes, until the topping is lightly browned.