Serves 5 cups
- 1 Tbls avocado or coconut oil
- ½ onion, diced
- 5-6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can pumpkin puree
- 1 can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 can light coconut milk
- ½-1 cup water (to desired consistency)
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 tsp. dried basil
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan and add onions and garlic, cooking 3-5 minutes until fragrant and translucent.
- Pour in pumpkin, tomatoes, coconut milk and 1.2 cup water. Heat and stir. If you like chunky sauce, move on to next step. If you prefer creamy sauce, use an immersion blender to puree all ingredients or let cool 5-10 minutes and blend in a blender.
- Add remaining seasonings and let simmer 15-30 minutes.
- Serve over favorite legume-based pasta (chickpea and lentil pastas are super yummy with this sauce!)