The lymphatic system is a network of vessels that lie just beneath the skin that help move a fluid called lymph around your body and back into your bloodstream for circulation. The lymphatic system is involved in a lot of processes including:
- Managing fluids through collecting fluids from your tissues and bringing it back into the bloodstream.
- Immune System via delivering immune cells throughout your body to monitor and fight off bacteria and viruses.
- Transportation of waste products for removal from the body.
Here are some ways you can take care of your lymphatic system!
- Hydrate! Drinking enough water helps add water to lymph and makes it easier to move around your body.
- Move! Unlike your blood vessels, the lymphatic system does not have a pump, so we need to pump it manually. Going on a walk, engaging in exercise, or physical activity can help move the fluids around! Other fun movements to really get the lymph pumping are jumping (especially with rebounding like on a trampoline), dancing, upside down movements such as in yoga, and dry skin brushing.
- Get a massage! Massages, facials, and lymph drainage can help move fluids around and enhance the body’s detox pathways.
If you’re interested in lymphatic drainage via massage or facial, contact us and we will help you choose the right service for you!