Nutty Breadcrumbs (Can make these ahead of time!):
1 ½ cup roughly chopped walnuts
2 tsp. coconut oil or ghee, melted
1 tsp. ground turmeric
½ cup ground flaxseed
Pinch salt & pepper
9-10 cups broccoli, chopped into small florets
2 cups raw cashews, soaked 2-8 hours, drained and rinsed
3 cups favorite broth (Bonus points for bone broth! Can sub water instead.)
1 Tbls. miso paste
1 tsp. salt
¼ cup nutritional yeast
2 Tbls. apple cider vinegar (or sub lemon juice)
2 Tbls. ghee (or sub olive oil)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small yellow onion, diced
12oz cremini mushrooms, diced
salt & pepper to taste
MAKE NUTTY BREADCRUMBS:
- Toss walnuts with coconut oil, turmeric salt & pepper. Spread on a baking sheet and toast for 6-8 minutes, until browned and fragrant. Let cool and add to a food processor along with ground flaxseed. Pulse to form consistency of breadcrumbs. Pour into a bowl and set aside so you can use your food processor in a later step.
MAKE MUSHROOM CREAM SAUCE:
- Add cashews, broth, miso, salt, nutritional yeast and apple cider vinegar to a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Preheat a large saucepan over medium-low heat and add ghee to melt. Add garlic and onion, stirring consistently for 1-2 minutes until softened and aromatic.
- Add mushrooms and cook 4-5 minutes, stirring intermittently, until mushrooms have released their juices and are softened.
- Add creamy cashew blend to the mushroom mix in the pan and stir. Cook 5-7 minutes until the sauce has thickened, add a little salt and pepper a bit and remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Grease a 13×9” casserole dish with olive oil or ghee. Add broccoli to evenly cover the bottom and set aside.
- Pour creamy mushroom sauce all over the broccoli in the casserole dish to evenly coat.
- Spread nutty breadcrumbs over the top of the mixture and bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes, or until breadcrumbs are browned.